View Single Post
      03-05-2022, 05:53 AM   #29
virtual_law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i auto stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I was able to code my used, from eBay, SAS/SLZ unit. There is no need to go into NCS expert to get the VIN #. When you recalibrate your SAS with tool32, it will code your VIN#. I coded my unit and I couldn't get the DSC malfunction fault to go away so I thought I did it incorrectly and called it a night. I spent a few hours doing research and the next day, for kicks, I drove it and after I backed out of my driveway the DSC fault went away. The reason I decided to drive it is that I verified the VIN was written correctly using INPA to look at the UID (or is that UIF?). I just didn't have the SLZ clocked correctly. It was off one revolution and when I did turn it lock to lock, I almost broke it because there was a lock on the plastic part and, being plastic, it flexed. Luckily I stopped before something broke as I saw the connectors being twisted out of shape.
Could you identify exactly which lock on the plastic part you're referring to? Is it the one on the clock spring that sits on top of the steering angle sensor?
Prior to the new unit installation, were your horns, indicators, high beam stocks working? Because mine work fine, just that indicator doesn't self-cancel and all the other errors (DSC, DBC, Flat Tyre Monitoring, etc) persist.

I ask because in INPA, my steering angle readings are way off. The values change when I turn the wheel but at dead center with wheels straight, it shows a wild reading in the negatives which as I understand should be zero after initializing. I have default coded DSC and reinitialized SAS using tools32, but the error pops right back up. I have tried calibration with Ista+ also which also resulted in two possible causes of fault: 1. Incorrectly installed SZL. Follow installation instructions! (Drive pin of coil spring assy), 2 Coding of DSC control unit incorrect.

I am going to order the repair kit: 83192179894, but before I do, maybe I make one last check of the 'revolutions being off' as in your case.
Appreciate 0