United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_law View Post
Sorry for the delay, I was in the process of fixing this issue, and I'm happy to report, its FIXED!

However, it was NOT the repair kit that was the problem. Kit did NOT work. I installed it and tried to recalibrate the SAS using ISTA, but the errors persisted.

The solution was a replacement SZL/switch unit. Got one from ebay with matching part numbers.

Now, in all the dismantling and reinstallation, I learnt a few things which may help anyone else in their diagnosis, so listing them here:

1. When I first opened the SAS, the optical disk looked pristine to me, both in indirect and direct light. I cleaned it anyway and some dirt came off the rag, but none of the crystallized nano-particles thingamajig I saw in other threads were present. So if yours looks clean with no issues, chances are, its fine and the problem lies elsewhere.
2. My stalks worked fine, indicator, wiper, etc except for the self-cancellation of turn signals (which of course is linked to the faulty SAS). This to me meant that it was not a communication/programming issue from my laptop to the SZL.
3. Clock spring. Now my clock spring felt fine, I could gently turn it by hand from stop to stop, but I had nothing to compare it to. The replacement SZL unit looked exactly alike, but as opposed to mine, the little 'white spring tab' on the clock spring would keep the spring from turning. Meaning I could not turn it lock to lock without depressing the white tab and I didn't try cause I didn't wanna risk anything before installing. The 'white spring tab' on my faulty unit was not working. This lead me to the conclusion that it was actually just my clock spring that was bad. I'll attach a pic of that white tab.
4. It is important to match the part numbers directly from SZL unit on the car when ordering a replacement. Also ensure that donor part is from a Left Hand Drive car if yours is LHD. My car is Right hand drive, so I got the donor from a RHD car. There are a number of stickers with part numbers on the SZL, but I shall attach the one that should actually match. In my case, the correct part number was LZ 9123051. Also note that realoem showed something different against my VIN.

Now, the entire SZL includes the stalks, the SAS and the clockspring. So it is a simple remove and replace job. However, it needs programming also, which is a 3 step process. I got the steps from another thread and it worked flawlessly on first try and all the warning lights disappeared.

Good luck! Btw, was doing this on a 2007 335i e93 RHD.
Thanks for your tips. I have the same problem - turn signal can't cancelled automatically after finishing the turns. all other functions work well.
I am going to buy a new one SZL (steering column switch) and do the programming.

Could you let me know which 3 steps were you using for reprogramming SZL? Thank you.