View Single Post
      12-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #38
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
Back to the e92 maintenance part of the thread.

Around a week ago I started getting an intermittent check engine light, so I got hold of a Carly scanner to check codes. The car is running fine.

Anyway - the car had various EGR codes when I checked it, so I removed the EGR valve to give it a clean thinking it was probably sooted up. Anyway it wasn’t too bad, so I gave it a quick clean and put it back in.

This appeared to fix the problem for a few km, but now it’s still throwing a 004CAE code (Exhaust gas recirculation actuator position sensor signal). Would this suggest I need a new EGR valve given that the sensor is integrated into the valve? The wiring looks undamaged, and the car is still running fine there is just the little engine light on the dash.
If you've got ISTA, you can just run the automatic test for the EGR and it will tell you if it's ok or not. The EGR valves can be quite problematic.

Edit: also it's probably worth mentioning that there is a current recall for EGR coolers, so might be worth checking if yours falls into the recall. They quite often replace the EGR cooler and EGR valve as a complete unit.
Appreciate 0