01-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #50
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
If you don't want to wash your own car using the proper two bucket method with proper wash mitts and drying towels, I would take the car to a professional detailer who may offer just a car wash because in the past I've taken my previous car through a gas station car wash with the brushes and it left fine scratches on my paint. I think it's common knowledge for anyone who cares about their car to avoid those types of car washes.

When I first got my bmw, I took it to a couple different "fancy" looking hand car wash places that charged $30 for just a wash. I read the yelp reviews and they were mostly positive so I said why not. You would see porsches and bimmers and other expensive cars there but after the wash I could see hologram swirls on the paint. That's because they didn't always use clean towels after each car, so trapped dirt particles in the fibers of the wash or drying towel would scratch the paint. So since then I avoided these hand car wash facilities. Think about it. They have to get through many cars throughout the day, so I'm sure they are not going to put all their attention and care into your car when there are cars lined up after yours.

The best way to prevent any swirls or holograms is to wash it yourself ESPECIALLY if you have a dark colored car. A quality detail ending with a good layer of wax/sealant will prevent scratches/swirls in between washes as long as you use the correct wash procedure

When I know that my car will need a full exterior detail in the near future, and if I get lazy and don't feel like washing my car, I'll take my car through a laserwash gas station car wash. There is a Chevron near my work that has a laserwash and it does a decent job at getting most of the dirt off for $10. There's no track on the ground, so I don't have to worry about damaging my 19 inch wheels, and as you enter a high pressure blast of water hits both lower sides of the car. The car goes through two stages of foaming which covers the entire car followed by the high pressure rinse and timed air dry as you exit. But let me remind you that you shouldn't go through a laserwash or other similar types of car washes if you recently had a coat of wax or sealant applied to the car because the harsh chemicals will strip the wax eventually. Hopefully this information helps out some of you.
Appreciate 0