View Single Post
      05-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #54
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
Because things like RPM, combustion camber size/shape and camshaft all have an impact on ignition timing as well.
so short of changing the cams for ones with more duration and changing the heads that are optimized to burn gasoline, how do you expect big gains in horsepower?
let's not forget the fuel system. injectors and pump to net what, maybe a 10% increase over something already tuned?
again, it's an interesting experiment, but I can't see the outcome being worth the hassle. Maybe it picks up 10 ft lbs in the midrange because you can crank the timing another 10 degrees, but without different valves and cams it's not going to be groundbreaking, and then you're going to get a whopping 12 MPG on e85 because it's terrible.

literally the only reason e85 is good is because it's the cheapest octane per dollar you can get, but a 10.5 motor doesn't need 110 octane to achieve it's best numbers.

I guess I'm just used to hi compression methanol motors that make 800+ HP. If you're not increasing the compression via boost or just having a high static compression ratio I just dn't see the major advantages to corn juice.
Appreciate 0