View Single Post
      04-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #21
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
If I remember right, my 06 330i, since I've gotten it, has sometimes made a slight single "clink" noise at heavy throttle low rpm. Originally assumed it was the exhaust flapper... flapping... but I've unplugged the solenoid and it's still there.

Most of the time, my n52 doesn't rattle or clunk under acceleration at all- it's actually remarkably smooth and quiet, but occasionally there's this sound we're currently talking about, and I really want to know what it is.

I remember reading a long time ago that there was once a flash to help alleviate the lifter issues, which put the oil pump in a higher output state at lower rpm/idle. I will keep trying to find the thread, but the owner reported that it resolved his lifter tick issues. My logic is, if it is the VANOS not getting the oil pressure it needs, this would also alleviate that as well, and hopefully silence it.

On top of that, I'm willing to sacrifice some efficiency for the peace of mind that oil pressure, even during low rpm operation, is more than sufficient to keep all of the engine propperly lubricated.

As said before, I'll keep trying to find it, but for now I have no concrete validation that this update exists.

Jon
Appreciate 0