View Single Post
      04-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

Tracking the 335i at Road America

I was at Road america this weekend with the auto 335i with the local club windy city BMW. The weather was perfect and sunny temperature in the high 70 to 80. I usually tracked with my modded evo but I want to test the hype about oil temp.
I run in the club experience group so I push the car pretty hard. I did ask to put myself in the lower experience group as first time running with the 335i.
I have a procede and michelin ps2 tire as my mods. RA is not a techical track but very intimidating for beginner as the track is very fast and can eat your brake pads and rotors. Brake fluid will have plenty of time to cool off in between long straight, but after 7-8 laps it can get a little spongy, even with the brake fade resistance on the car.
The car did great on the track with the sport suspension, and stock pads. Handling is very predictable, and the ps2 stick to the road well and will start to slide a little as the tire pressure climb up during the last 2-3 laps.
Most of the group run R compound or slick so I was very happy with the way the car handle itself. With the procede on board, a lot of car have problem with me on the straight, and exit.
Now the bad news, OIL TEMP >300. During my daily driving and some multiple burst of full boost the car never saw temp greater than 260. Well it a different story alltogether on the track as driving in sport mode my temp was critical and the car went into safe mode. I did not even realize it (temp rising) as I was pushing the car hard and chasing down a modded 996tt porsche in front of me during the last 3-4 laps of the first session.
So during the rest of the events I am able to keep the temperature below 280 with 3/4 throttle per 35 minutes sessions. But thumbsup to shiv for complementing his product to a great engine even at 3/4 throttle I was able to take on any car exept that dam porsche and a modded e46 m3 with slick.
Now, I need in getting an air-to oil cooler for the car, so next time around I will give some competition to those heavily modded cars.:rocks: