View Single Post
      10-30-2023, 03:57 PM   #223
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
I owned a 2018 X2 for five years. It was my daily driver, complementing an E46 M3, which I drove for enjoyment. I bought the X2 because I wanted a comfortable and economical daily driver for an hour long commute in heavy traffic in a city with the highest gas prices in North America. The X2 served that purpose much better than the M3. I specifically did not want an X1 because I liked the hatchback style of the X2, which made the vehicle shorter and lower than an X1, while it still had enough space for four adults in reasonable comfort. Had I not bought the X2, I might have bought a Golf R, although it was smaller than I preferred. I had a lot of problems with the X2, so I decided to unload it coinciding with the end of the warranty. I traded the X2 in for an M2C and I sold the E46 M3.

I really dislike the new X2, both the design and the size. I'm very disappointed in the design of recent BMWs. I think they are some of the worst looking vehicles on the market (e.g., XM). There is very little coherence between the models and even within a specific model, a lot of the new designs are a horrible combination of overly busy creases and features like fake vents and fake diffusers. The back end is by far the worst view of the car. The taillights are horrible. They don't look like any other BMW. The fake diffuser is also horrible. The back end reminds me of an Aztec. A low-end vehicle with only 300 HP doesn't need quad exhaust pipes.

Coincidently, my M2C had to go in for some service and I was given a new X1 as a courtesy car. It has grown quite a bit compared to the previous generation X1, which I also drove quite a few times. It's not that much smaller than an X3, which isn't that much smaller than an X5. IMO, there should be more size differential between the models, not less.

IMO, BMW has really lost its way when it comes to design and also the M division. BMW considers the XM to be the essence of the M division. IMO, this reflects that BMW is trying to make the M division something for everyone, which dilutes its original purpose.