United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Problem SOLVED (at least for me) !!!

Since winter is coming, I changed the tires from the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT summer tires to Goodyear Eagle GW3 RFT winter tires (using the same 17" rims) and the car shaking when turning when standstill or at very low speed is completely gone !

I suspected the tires from the beginning.

I have several theories:

1. The steering "mechanism" shakes when there is not enough power to turn the wheels at idle. When using lower grip tires there is enough power to turn them and car is not shaking.

2. I had some loose lug nuts on one wheel. But the car was not shaking at speed, so I don't think this is possible.

3. The tire side geometry is different between these tires. On summer tires I noticed that when turning the wheel fully while the car was sitting still, the car raised the front by about 2cm. I will see if the winter tires do the same...
good if it worked for you. let us know if it comes back as I think switching the tires will make that much difference. I actually tried a bigger size wheels and i thought it was fixed. then it came back. oh well, I still have the same issue.
Appreciate 0