View Single Post
      07-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Kyle335D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking View Post
Yet another EGR delete thread but I just had to share this one as it works really well and can be easily reversed for those of us in emission testing regions.

Credit for this discovery goes to TDIwyse who mentioned the effect of no EGR valve feedback in another thread (searched but couldn't find it) but didn't include how to implement the mod in that thread ( apologies if implementation was explained in another thread and I missed it ).

I initially blocked my EGR at the EGR valve body with a copper disc. While it worked, I noticed a mileage decrease, frequent DPF regens and multiple codes thrown ( 45B7 , 4862 , 4B82 ).

Electrially disconnecting the EGR valve entirely results in limp home mode BUT electrically disconnecting the feedback sensor (hall effect sensor I believe) implements the effect TDIwyse discovered.

EGR utilization is now always zero and only a single code is thrown ( 4CAE ). Mileage increased from 9.2l/100km to 8.4l/100km (dash reading) or about 100km more per tank. That's with a 70/30% highway/city driving ratio and AC usually on. These results are from my X5 35D which I drive like a normal human being. The 335D is WOT every chance I get

Instructions

Disconnect the connector from the EGR valve motor.

Partially unbend a paperclip and fully insert the wire into the SMALL hole beside the pin #5 terminal. Now gently pull the wire (black) and terminal out from the back of the connector. Insert the connector back into the EGR motor.

That's it. The EGR valve will now never open. Reverse these instructions if you're going in for an emission test but do it well in advance to allow time for the DDE monitors to become "ready".

While this is effective as an EGR delete, I still recommend removal of the EGR cooler with blocking at the exhaust manifold and the coolant bypass. I've had two of these EGR coolers crack. They are failure prone and a reliability concern.
Do you believe using this method will increase the likelihood of the EGR to crack?
Appreciate 3