View Single Post
      08-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #78
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
I've never been asked to wear a helmet during a oil change in the past. Very odd... starting to suspect that eFab is up to something that goes beyond a simple oil change...

From my quick 3-hour visit to eFab tonight to check seat location and fitment above my head. These e90's are pretty damn surprising in seeing just how much room they have. I'm 6'3" and with a halo seat, I have quite a bit of head room!

These cages take ALOT of time to make sure you have proper fitment and symmetrical pieces (drivers/passengers sides). That said, major parts are bent and the rest should go together pretty quickly. Eric said most of the cage should be done by Friday of this week/early next week depending on how tough the door bars are. Quite a few more shots from the inside...

Instead of the X style structure, we went with an A frame. This allows us to make the open area above the drivers head (me) much smaller than if it were a traditional X structure, providing more safety in the event of a rollover. #themoreyouknow

Also, the difference with the A-pillar bars in this photo vs my previous post were that these completed ones are one continuous bar vs multiple welded together pieces. The welded/multi piece version is how a template is made to find the right shape which can then be copied when bending one single piece of steel. Most major racing sanctioning bodies only allow three bends in the single A-pillar bar. Ours is bent in such a way that we'll be able to weld the bars to the actual body of the car, further increasing rigidity.

Last edited by sirdaft1; 08-09-2017 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
Rain39.00
feuer4275.50