View Single Post
      05-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

I have torn my ACL 3 times and had surgery twice. I tore my left ACL first playing flag football then on the first day back to playing flag, I tore my right one but this time it was the ACL, MCL and Meniscus. Had that repaired then the first season back to playing basketball, I tore my left again. They were ALL freak accidents and not the workmanship. I play aggressively in all competitive sports so I take full blame. The last tear of my left ACL was me trying to drive through two giants...I lost that battle. I actually have not repaired my left ACL and have been playing flag football, basketball, softball, snow boarding, etc. with just my Townsend brace. So you could wait on the surgery if you want but if you are young, I say go for it and get it repaired. I am 34 and able to do what I do at 95% with a brace and torn left ACL. You do need to have a strong quadricep to stabilize the knee.

With all that said, I went with a ligament from a cadaver. I didn't want to take it from my hamstring because I felt like the hamstring was already a weak muscle that it would never feel the same again. I know there is a chance that the cadaver ligament does not take and takes longer for it to acclimate to your body but for me...it was the right decision.

I would just talk to your doctor and discuss the options and what their experience is. Maybe they have a specific suggestion.

GL man!
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0