View Single Post
      03-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #41
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
An open wastegate will not cause a shit ton of smoke that smells like oil! Sometimes shit just craps out. I'm not blaming them, nor am I blaming anyone I just want to get my car up and running again. I definitly didnt lie and wouldnt spend $600 to install a race intercooler and try to blame that. The intercooler is after the turbos, the only way it could damage the turbos is if it also took out the engine which my engine is fine.

There is a reason why Vargus upgraded the turbo blades, they have had a few other failures from postings online that ive seen. Sometimes things just fail and sometimes things just work. 99% of the time you only hear from people who had a failure and those who dont ususally never post.

I've wasted alot of time trying to find an alternative reason for the failure, I could have pulled the downpipes a whlie ago and got the real answer already. At this point I'd rather spend 4 hours pulling the downpipes to know for sure; If i see a broken exhaust turbine then I'll proceed with the turbo removal. Also if you looked at the logs you would see the WGDC opening and closing which means the wastgate is not the problem, this was also one of the first things i checked, and i got 26hg of vac on those lines.

Thanks, plan on getting some extra tools today and working on the issue.

A borescope is a nice idea, but at this point I'd rather just pull the downpipes because if it turns out to be the turbos id have to do it anyways, and if its not well then I can easily replace my silicone outlets with there new metal ones.

What did you mean by beyond my capabilities? Ive been working on cars my entire life, Ive repaired alot of things from headgaskets to adding superchargers with custome piping. These turbos in our cars are bolt ons, Its just a shit load of work to get to them. I enjoy working on my car and prefer to whenever possible because i enjoy it. My capabilities are only limited by the amount of knowllege i decide to assimilate.
Please keep us updated and what the outcome is. Good luck!
Appreciate 0