View Single Post
      03-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #44
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Chris, I get that you have to be super diplomatic and you are way overdoing it. I wish Tony would chime in on this. His suspicion is that one turbine blade may have broken off and gotten suck into the other turbo. Please address that. Please.

Everyone has differing skill levels and understanding, but there has to be a point where random assumptions get the kibosh put on them.

Just as you so nicely put it - smoking right as the intercooler was installed being suspicious, he suddenly lost "all the boosts" too.

I think the only issue you will have with the OP inspecting the turbos is that he's already convinced himself that the turbos are the issue. Regardless of how they look, they will be the issue, because they already are in the OP's mind.

It's going way above and beyond offering a discount if they do need rebuilding, and that is a testament to VTTs' customer service. Just be mindful that you may get a decent set of turbos back for rebuilding, and then once they get reinstalled, you'll be blamed when they still don't make boost because the original issue hasn't been determined.

OP - there is another test you can do. Get a vacuum pump and apply I think 6 or 7 inches of vacuum to the wastegates to make sure they are working. That will ensure that they are closed. Now go do a 3rd gear WOT run with the vacuum pump applied at the 7 inches. You should find out soon if you will make boost.
Appreciate 2