View Single Post
      12-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #120
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddak View Post
I've tried both the Schwaben/Foxwell NT 510 and the Icarsoft BMM V2.0 on my E90 to register a new battery. Both devices will register the battery as new, but neither has the option to change the amp hour value or type (AGM to Lead Acid) I have a 100 amp lead acid installed and the readout shows I have a 90ah AGM which must have come with the car. I am the second owner and the car had a lead acid battery in it when I bought it. I replaced the battery as it was over 3 years old and wanted to start fresh. Had I known what the car came with, I would have simply replaced it with an AGM. But I'm not tossing the battery I just bought. Thankfully I am not having any issues with starting and charging. I've checked the charging system to verify. I have a meter for this since I'm a retired auto tech.
I tried the icarsoft first and sent it back, then the Schwaben and sent it back too.
Both are nice hand held tools, but as others have commented, they are limited.
I'm considering the Protool by Bimmergeeks. I'm trying to find out it their app can handle the registration, amp hour and type when doing a battery.
Anyone with hands on info, please chime in.
I know one can buy a cable and instal INPA and the like, but I prefer a hand held device. Some say Carly can "code" a battery, but again anyone with hands on experience with Carly please chime in too.
thanks
I thought that the M cars came with AGM, which are black. I know I looked into it i.e. switching from lead acid to AGM. AT the time, the dealer wanted $280 to replace the battery and program it. They said if I wanted AGM, it would be $450, because the car would then be coded as opposed to programmed--even they told me it's not worth it. So sounds like yours was switched to AGM at some point...
Appreciate 0