View Single Post
      05-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
when my car couldnt start with the Red color steering lock icon.....my tech rebooted (or whatever he did) the program/software or the ecu. he was able to start my car, and the red icon was gone. he said i will still need to replace the column or the error would eventually come back. After a new column, he did not have to re-program the car.

i think program has nothing to do with this...but who knows
I think the red icon is an error which disables startup. By using something such as INPA or BT tool, clearing this errors would make it (temporarily) go away, this would make sense.

If your column was replaced with the same exact one (with the lock), no programming is required.

If however you get a column without the lock, I think you will need programming. The result should be the same as simply disconnecting the lock mechanism with the white connector. But disconnecting this without reprogramming the car gives you a yellow lock symbol and car doesn't start. If this was a possible solution, I'd just physically remove the lock forever. Unfortunately coding is req'd, and anything I've tried doesn't work to disable the mechanism. Hopefully my dealer can help.
Appreciate 0