View Single Post
      08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Right now I'm in the control group. I have an early 2011 model and received the recall notice but I have NOT had it performed yet.

I've noticed a decrease in MPG (calculated, per tank) of about 2MPG over the past 3 months or so with the same commute. About 25k miles on the car.

I attribute it to hotter temps, which lowers efficiency, and more use of A/C. I plan on having the recall done at my next scheduled service which will be within the next two weeks.
Great that we are approaching this semi scientifically. I also have an early 2011 and went though the recall and my MPG dropped. I also figured the AC use was worth about 2 MPG between no use and heavy use.

I driven 6K miles since the recall. Actually am going in next week for regular (oil and DEF) service. Apparently the car 'called home' and the dealer contacted me. I will register my complaint about the MPG loss. Pretty sure the remapping that lowered MPG was to reduce the soot buildup in the EGR/Intake system. Question is can they create a fuel map to meet both targets at the same time, max fuel economy and soot reduction. But until BMW at least acknowledges the loss of MPG from the latest mapping, they will not be trying to fix anything.
Appreciate 0