03-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #73
MametXfive
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35D

Can you explain the TDC process

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsnowboarder View Post
I think you mean under the valve, not under the piston.

You are absolutely correct. The procedure of rotating the engine ensures that the intake valves are closed prior to blasting each cylinders intake. You start at cylinder 1 at TDC, perform the cleaning for that cylinder, then rotate to the next cylinder, repeat, etc. If the procedure is followed there is no way that walnut shells or anything else can get past the valves and into the cylinder.

I don't understand why they pulled the glow plugs, as they are not part of the procedure, nor affected since they are not in the intake. If they pulled the glow plugs, the only thing that could drop off the glow plug is the element that heats up, which would be very obviously broken off once the glow plug was removed.

It sounds to me, and this is pure speculation, that they might not have covered the other intakes while they were blasting the one at TDC and accidentally dropped something that fell into an uncovered intake that had an open valve, again pure speculation. There is at least one video on YouTube that shows the carbon blasting process, watch it to familiarize yourself with the process.

Perhaps they rotated the engine before ensuring all the walnut shells were vacuumed out. As soon as the valve opened, the shells would have dropped into the cylinder, on top of the piston.

With the intake off the engine should rotate relatively easily by hand.
Can you explain when is the cylinder is at TDC from page 10?
Appreciate 0