05-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #425
Mickey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
A speed or traffic signal camera manufactured by "Gatsometer"- see http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
Thanks for the info, London320d. I figured it had to do with the speed cameras, just never heard that name before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner
Yeah - those things that are hidden behind signs, hedges and anything else they can find..... all in the interest of raising money... no silly me, it's to increase road safety by slowing you down - that's why they hide them so you know where the accident blackspots are

Ironicly it was invented by a dutch rally driver Maurice Gatsonides. He even won the Monte Carlo rally in '53, but then turned to the dark side.
And thank you too, OilBurner.

That's one thing about the U.S. system: the cops play "fair." They try to catch us by lurking and hiding, hoping to catch us in the act - no cameras! And, we drivers "play" by warning each other as to where the cops are parked/staked out. It is almost a game - kind of like tag. Gives new meaning to the word "cooperation." Most of the time, at least outside of small towns, I think the cops are genuinely more interested in safe driving than revenue.

I don't like cameras. Where's the challenge for the cops/drivers? Cameras - phooey. They just ain't no fun!

Thanks again for the edjumacation.

Marilyn