View Single Post
      12-03-2022, 09:44 PM   #24
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I really don't think they've changed much tbh. Quirky, strange designs are certainly nothing new (e36 hatch anybody?). Neither is 'technology for the sake of technology' or bad user interfaces. I found this blurb from a quick googling just now, hilarious and prescient:

Quote:
from Scientific American, April 1 2016

5 of the Worst User-Interface Disasters

BMW iDrive
In 2007 BMW attempted an ambitious project: It assigned nearly 700 of the car's functions to a crazily complicated knob between the two front seats—a knob that you could turn, push or bump in any of eight directions. The system was called iDrive, and it was a disaster. "Learning BMW's complicated iDrive system…is still disheartening and will surely be a daunting task to most new owners, especially those with little patience and at or near retirement age," went one typical review. It was slow, complex and infuriating to owners. In 2008 BMW overhauled the system completely.
I distinctly remember my e36 having at least 4 separate buttons to set the time on the clock on the OBC. One button for each digit (1000, 100, 10, and 1). Why on earth lol. Phoenix Gold and Austin Yellow were both described as 'baby poop green' immediately on release (and rightfully so). I'd even bet some people saw the first 'angel eyes' in the 2001 E39 as flashy. Maybe we don't mean to overlook these things, or view the past with rose-tinted glasses. Whatever the case, I promise you they've been a strange company this whole time. Here is an article (also from R&T) which is making a similar point. Not all of their choices worked back then. Certainly not all of them work now. They have been pretty consistent about taking risks though. I do dig that.

I should also add that the current crop of M's drive spectacularly.
Attached Images