Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Many thanks for sharing.

Its too early for me to give comprehensive feedback however early observations;

1- It gives typical alpina D1, M1 and DS1 so you know all the time as to in which gear you are driving.

2- With normal day to day driving, I have not felt any significant differences except it shifts bit early in D mode. So, doing 30 MPH I was in 4th gear. I do not have evidence to say that with normal transmission flash, it would be different case as I could not see what gear was it using when doing 30 MPH.

I am yet to try DS and M mode.

3- It DOES NOT change any tone of the exhaust and has nothing to do with that.

4- I would add to original post that after flashing it, clear all the codes as your car will have plenty of DME, GKS, CAS and FRM errors which are due to flashing process than permanent errors.

5- After this flashing, there is no error on the display however inpa shows coding error for the gear box. You can erase it temporarily however every time yous start the car, it recognize that you do not have alpina and throw the error. Nothing big but worth of considering it if you are OCD.

I will test it comprehensively for sometime and will report back. These tests are conducted on 2010 320d with 40K miles and running 220-225 BHP. I have flashed it as alpina D3 has lower power output than mine so ideally it should augment my BHP difference and should shift it quicker.
You're welcome, makkan00 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Ok, I have driven the car for 500 miles with alpine transmission.
Here is my observations;

1- 320d without remap is a dull car. I used some tweaks and suggested output is 220BHP-225 BHP. Tweaking made car alive and very responsive at speeds above 40 MPH. It has nothing to do with alpina but my next bullet will explain the context of this bullet.

2- Aplina flash may not help you if you have standard 320d. However, if you have tweaked 320d then worth of trying. As it is better match for remapped / tweaked cars.

3- If you are a slow driver and usually use the torque of the car, then this may not be for you or you may not like it as alpina transmission revs higher. It shifts around 4-4.2 K in D whereas in normal flash, it may shift at 3.8-4K. In DS, it shifts at 4.7K as compared to 4.5K.

4- In D mode, car is like driving in DS mode. More responsive in all gears.

5- DS mode is waste of time as car keep reving very high and has past its peak torque and HP. Probably you will be wasting your fuel. DS mode will only help you if you are racing from stand still and when car is rolling, D is better IMHO.

6- Real difference is 50 MPH and above till you hit illegal speeds. Alpina transmission flash is quicker in achieving those speeds.

7- Alpina transmission is smoother than standard transmission flash.

8- The only drawback is reving high and I do not like diesel engines revving really high. For some, this will be positive point.

Overall, positive experience except point 8.
Great review, thank you !!

I'll update the first post.

Keep the feedback coming guys!