Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
New to N51/N52’s and was ideally looking for a low power daily that I can wring out without being reckless on the streets. The engine is smooth and got a good amount of torque up to about 3k, however anything after that just feels extremely lackluster. It climbs and climbs, and is extremely smooth…but man is it boring! Has anyone successfully modded their car to be more engaging, especially those with a track background that are ok with a more visceral experience?

I’ve deleted the secondary cats, resonator and have an N55 muffler, along with stock intake charcoal delete + additional intake feed, which helped make bring some sound back, but it’s still a rather boring note.

I have AKG 75D engine mounts ready to go in and also plan on DISA valves, but not sure if I’m chasing a ghost here and the N52 is just not that fun of an engine. I come from an E46 M3 with solid mounts but even a recent TLX rental with the 204hp K24 was more fun to drive!
If you're starting with a stock N51/N52, some cheap things you can do are add stiffer transmission mounts if it's a 6MT. I did the E46 M3 ones and they added some more NVH which I liked. Try to grab an intake on the cheap, like the euro box or AFE closed intake. You can also get the Rev Motoring silicone intake hose, that gets rid of an intake muffler so adds a little more sound. Definitely get a louder muffler (performance exhaust if you can find one!). Everything else costs a lot more money...
Appreciate 0