02-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #27
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
People need to realize smog techs aren't trained to do in-depth inspections on vehicles in CA. Assuming most have anything other than the rudimentary skills necessary to do their testing correctly is giving most of them way too much credit.

That isn't to say there aren't some mechanically inclined smog techs out there, but even most of them can't recognize, or would even care about, most performance mods on most vehicles, unless the mods are so obvious that the techs think they might get in trouble by NOT reporting them.

Think about the 100s of different vehicles makes, models, years, etc, and people will hopefully realize they're asking a lot for any minimally-trained smog tech to recognize mods of any sort.
I've seen one pull out a book. I'm assuming it is some kind of guide. Don't exactly know what's in there, but looked like stock pictures IIRC when I took a quick peek.....

Anyways, the CARB rules are clear on the intercooler, but sometimes I run into a smog tech that seems just itching to fail me. (I didn't ever go back to that one. Was looking at the drycharger on my K&N intake filter on a '99 GS400 like it was a no-no.)
Appreciate 0