View Single Post
      07-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #45
thebranch423
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2008

Help please

I need some help my friends please. I was changing my valve cover gasket. But when I pull out the valve cover this part that I circled in the valve cover fell beneath the camshaft bearing ledge (inlet cam). I also circled where in the second picture. I am no mechanic, so when I couldn’t take that part out I thought that I could remove the cam bearing ledge to be able to remove the part that fell inside. I turn the 2 bolts I circled in the picture with red 1/2 turn, ONLY 1/2 turn counterclockwise. When I did that I heard a “gush” like if something underpressure was unlocked and an strong oil smell was released.
After that, I was afraid so I readjusted both bolts immediately with my wrench as hard as I could. Again, it was only those 2 bolts 1/2 turn counterclockwise and then I adjust it back as hard as I could but not extremely hard!
I put everything back together including new gaskets.
When I turned on the car, the car did 1 rev up to 1,800 rpm and went back to normal but I got the check engine light with 2 codes
2A82
2A98

The car runs smooth, strong, fast, no other issues except everytime I turn on the car, it does that 1 abnormal rev and then everything is back to normal.
Do you think the 2 error codes could be related to the fact that I did not adjust those 2 bolts to the correct inch/pound?
Or does the solution would be to get the BMW tool for the inlet cam, take out all the inlet cam bolts and adjust all of them to the correct inch/pound?
Or the error code is related to that little thing that is still inside beneath the inlet cam bearing ledge?
It can’t be the VANOS solenoid because I changed them less than 6 months ago and there were no error codes or check engine lights before this happened to me.
Thank you for your help
My car is a BMW 528i 2008 E60

NOTE: By the way, the 2 bolts I messed up with are kind of in the middle of the inlet camshaft bearing ledge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0