10-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #1861
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Thats some nice tinkering there Andy... how much was the Nexsys coil kit and how do you rate it??
Nexsys/B58 coils
The kit is basically perfect for what it is. There is a MHD checkbox option for it. The kit is basically pnp, no cutting/splicing wires, engine cover fits perfectly and you don't need to remove a silly bracket whenever you want to remove a spark plug or coil boot. The B58 coil boots are secured with one etorx screw and you can feel them "click" into place once they have caught the spark plug. From memory, everything associated with the B58 kit ran me around to $600 AUD shipped. It's hard to recommend any other aftermarket coil solution for this platform, though I haven't come across any detailed reviews on the PRP coil kits.

longterm PR coil review
While the PR coils worked and deliver an increased amount of spark energy over OEM N54 coils, I just really didn't like them as they lacked the fit and finish of OEM coils.

The PR coil boots simply slip on to the plugs and don't have anything to secure them, nor can you feel the boots "click" into place on the plug. So you're always second-guessing if the coil boots are snug, especially after you're done finagling the coil boot wiring and ignition coils/bracket.

I also had long-term hesitations with the PR kit. At least 4 clips on my kits pnp wiring harness became brittle and snapped over a ~2 year period of tinkering. While you can order replacement harnesses and ignition coils directly from PR, you can't order boots from their webstore. The B58 coil kit seems to have more robust connector clips which will hopefully hold over time, but at least I can now order replacement coils and boots from the usual retailers or even go for used ones.

Not having the coils integrated with the coil boots also made it more difficult to do routine maintenance tasks. Getting the plugs out of the head became a cumbersome task, the engine vanity cover doesn't fit properly despite loads of trimming, and is difficult to remove once the kit is installed. I'd need to take the cover off whenever I wanted to remove the oil filler cap. These are all non-issues if you order the N55 PR coil kit (fits N54 from memory) or don't run an engine cover.

coils in general
I don't think aftermarket coils are necessary on this platform. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd generally recommend OEM S55 coils for anyone who doesn't plan on running built N54 numbers. S55 coils are a direct fit and there are plenty of them out there making solid power with them.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
shannon1644.00