08-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #2232
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Reset adaptations when changing fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
Would you do the filter as well? They say the filter is part of the transmission pan?
Sorry to keep taking this off topic but just to chime in...

I wasn't having any issues, knock on wood, but I actually just had my fluid pan and filter changed. Also, had the mechatronics seal, the sealing sleeve and a seal on the valve body replaced too. Not sure of the standardized names or part #'s of those things.

The BMW tech I use said there is a "test plan" that should be done when changing trans fluid. Obviously this would be done with the latest and greatest software that they have at the dealerships. I haven't had him do this yet.

I'm not sure if this "test plan" is the same as resetting adaptations with INPA. I've also heard it mentioned on the forums that you can do a "functional job" in ISTA/d and that does some sort of reset but not as complete as the one that INPA does. Not sure if that is true or not. Maybe what ISTA/d does is the same as the dealerships test plan (but different from resetting adaptations in INPA) and basically tells the TCU - hey there is new fluid in there now.

I'm xdrive and he also change the fluid in the transfer case and there is a test plan you can perform on that too when putting new fluid in.

I believe Xhp's stance is to only reset adaptations when replacing hard parts. Other forum members have different opinions. I've found blogs like this one from FCP Euro that says you should reset after changing fluid: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6

Basically I can't seem to find a general consensus.

Does anyone know the official recommendation from ZF and/or BMW?

Does anyone know if there are differences between the dealership running the "test plan", "functional job" in ISTA/d, and resetting adaptations with INPA?

Thanks!