atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
If it were me, I would be using the SS mids (around 53-54mm) instead of the larger AFE 64mm mids which did show some low end torque loss.
When you say "did show," what are you referring to? Link?

I just read that my350z thread, interesting stuff! It got me thinking though. Do you guys think scavenging is already ruined by the primary cats, for us OE header guys? I'd imagine that the exhaust gases rapidly expanding into a catalytic converter chamber and then also funneling through those tiny cat pores would completely abolish any scavenging effects. Thoughts?

I am trying to decide if SuperSprint section 1 would be better than aFe section one (race pipes) for me (stock headers), because the aFe race pipes are about 10mm larger than the SuperSprint (as Axiom mentioned). That said, if the cats in the headers have already ruined any and all scavenging effects, maybe the larger aFe pipes could actually improve power over the SuperSprint due to less back pressure?? Sorry, Big, for kinda high-jacking your thread as I realize this is irrelevant for you since you have catless headers.

Personally, I feel that cats are one of the biggest "quieting" parts of the exhaust system. They also seem to reduce rasp more than mufflers do. Those two attributes, coupled with the fact that they do help protect Planet Earth (guess I'm getting a TINY bit green in my old age lol), are the reasons that I never plan on running with zero cats on this car. I just think it would be too loud without any cats, no matter how many mufflers or resonators are thrown at it. For a race car, sure. But for my DD, no thanks. To each his own! If and when I go to SS or AA headers (after warranty expires), I plan on immediately re-installing my OE secondary cats. That said, I still feel that the best (quietest) setup that didn't have any cats at all would be either the entire OE cat-back exhaust (obviously), or the OE mid-pipe (resonated, supposedly a good design?) paired with the PE muffler.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 03-13-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
Phyrexia502.50
Biginboca3763.50