12-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcAutoInc View Post
The DLC (data link connector) is the OBD2 port. A passthru is CAN enabled communication tool hooked to a PC which is basically the same as ICOM but can be used for programming virtually any brand vehicle. I was using BMW paid subscription ISTA-P provided by BMWTIS. But now that something happened and it bricked I'm trying to use INPA to read the other modules. I can't get INPA to see the car, I don't think its configured for the passthru. Came here to see if anyone knows how to link them?
Yes, you can make this work - EDIABAS, the communication protocol that BMW standard tools (INPA, NCSExpert, WinKFP, Tool32) interface with, will support J2534 passthru devices.

You'll need to:
1) install BMW Standard tools (I gather you've done this already)
2) download BMW-specific files from the device manufacturer or search for "BMW PTT driver"
3) Install BMW PTT files in the /EDIABAS/Bin directory
4) Edit ediabas.ini to change STD:OBD to STD:Passthru (or whatever the driver software installation suggests)

But honestly, there are a bunch of gotchas in that process and I would not bother. Just buy a $45 DCAN cable from www.bimmergeeks.net and be done with it. You'll be running the same set up as everyone else on this forum and everyone can help you from there.

BTW, in case this is not clear to you, your passthru is not "basically the same as ICOM", the latter of which has several interfaces. ICOM-B connects through the DLC (OBDII port) like most J2534 devices and DCAN cables. ICOM-A connects through the MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) bus. It is often reported that ICOM-A is required to program some MOST bus modules, like the CCC/CIC. For your J2534 device, a MOST bus interface has to be purchased separately. This consideration is irrelevant to the CAS of course.

EDIT: BMW-PTT is from BMW. So you need two driver sets, a device specific one from the manufacturer and one from BMW for EDIABAS. Sorry don't have a link for BMW-PTT

Last edited by dpaul; 12-08-2019 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0