View Single Post
      03-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #124
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I dug in very old email and found dialogue with Klaus from thectsc.com from 2013. Stoner, send me a pm with your email address and I will forward the email to you. Within the email, he gave me 4 links to filter and fluid tech instructions. 2 of the 4 pertain to the metal pan we speak of that goes onto the E53 X5. Please note in the 6x fluid level instructions, the instructions are referring to a fill screw IN THE PAN. See the pdfs attached with emphasis on the fluid level one. tThe email explains a little further beyond the attached pdfs.
get ready for a long winded post

thanks for the email i read it, but i still don't get his reasoning behind over filling the trans???? he doesn't explain his theory, so I'm still scratching my head.. He states that the pan holds 1L less than our current pan and it will be overfilled if you use the factory fill port. Here is my thoughts on why it still doesn't matter what the pan capacity is and why it cant be overfilled and why the fill port on the new pan is wrong to use.

the stock trans fill hole is in the side of the transmissions above the seal line of the stock trans pan. if you were to put a plate across the bottom of the transmission seal surface you could fill the transmission and that is were the fluid level needs to be for the trans to operate (this cant be done because of the valve body, but this is my thoughts). you would probably be lucky to get 1L in the trans at this point, but the level need to be that high to properly operate and no matter what you do you cant overfill the transmission because the extra fluid will come out the hole.

if you now go below the seal line on the stock trans pan you have your extra 5-6L of fluid sitting in the sump of the pan. your pickup tube is has the required fluid below it and the rest of the trans the required fluid above it (set by the fill hole) and you cant over fill it because it will come out the fill hole. at this point you have "6-7L" of fluid in your trans (total capacity is more, but we are not talking about that)

This new pan in question hold 1L less than the stock trans pan and we are still taking about the fluid level in the pan not in the transmission. Now with the same theory with filling the trans with the absolute minimum of 1L above the seal surface you have below the seal line is 4-5L of extra fluid in the pan.

if you use the factory fill method you can only physically fit the proper amount of fluid based on what the transmission pan sump can hold. overfilling isn't possible because of the fill hole. With that being said if you were to use this pan holding 1L less and you use the factory fill hole you can only fit 5-6L in the trans then anything extra will come out the fill hole.

Now this extra fill port on this metal pan is only there because without it you have to remove the driveshaft to access the actual fill port on the side of the transmission this pan is supposed to be installed on. Now with that being said if the driveshaft was removed from this car you still have the same fill port that our transmission has. in theory you can remove this fill plug in the transmission pan and remove the fill port on the side of the transmission and you will achieve the same amount of fluid because the fill plug is at the same height as the fill port.

here is the real question regarding this fill port on the metal pan.. is this "new" fill port in the metal pan at the same height as the factory port on the our transmission? this new fill port in the pan has the ability to overfill or under fill the transmission, if it is not at the same height as the transmission fill port.

if someone were to use this pan i would say with 100% confidence you need to use the factory fill plug on the transmission for the proper fill level and not the fill port on the metal pan.