View Single Post
      01-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #103
five50
Rep
Drives: 335d

Went to pick up my girlfriends 335d from a service today from Sytner BMW - was told that the two rear wheels were cracked - 19" 230's.

All seemed highly unusual - dealer said that they have come across this multiple times before:

Blamed potholes or even tried to imply tyre pressures could have been run low - i would have thought that this is something of a non argument with runflats
Dealer said that it is a well known UK problem for BMW (less of a problem in other countries) - they are well aware of the problem
They claim that BMW UK will not accept liability, although the dealer said that they (BMW UK) are reviewing the situation - they stated that they themselves are not allowed to replace the wheels under warantee
The customer service rep we spoke to said that her brother is having the same prob, but even given her position, she has not been able to achieve a result with BMW Customer Services
We bought the car 9 months old with 16k miles on it (from a different dealer) - we questioned whether we had been missold the car- the dealer said that no way would a UK BMW dealer compromise safety in this way (selling a car with cracked alloys) - which means that the issues must have arisen in the last 12 months / 8k miles - which surely cant be 'fit for purpose' under the sale and supply of goods act
That it is both rear wheels and neither front wheel - sounds to me much like a manufacturing default than a pothole issue
We were quoted £630 + vat to replace the two rear wheels

Thought I'd have a look online and see who else is having a similar issues - v interesting to see that this is a well covered issue...

We left the car with the dealer as the door handles are being replaced under warantee (no arguments on this) and have not paid the bill for the service. But i got the feeling that they would have let us drive off on the wheels - the service manager only decided that it might be a bad idea when my pregnant girfriend pushed him as to whether or not its safe to drive.

Seems really wierd that bMW are aware of this issue, but are not warning people in advance - seems like this could be a massive liability issue if wheels fail on moving cars...

Interested to know how people get on with their various legal actions as this is the way we are thinking of going.
Appreciate 0