View Single Post
      05-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #52
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Can you show me one state law that prohibits passing another vehicle on the right while on a a road with two lanes going the same direction? I will tell you Texas it isn't true. I suspect NO states have such a law. It is generally unlawful to pass on an unimproved shoulder, or a paved shoulder unless to pass a vehicle stopped in the main lane.

And what you described is a 4 lane road. 2 lane road generally describes a roadway with one lane in each direction.
Here is ours:

Quote:
13 AAC 02.055. Passing on right
(a) Except as provided in (c) of this section, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under conditions permitting the movement in safety, and
(1) when the vehicle overtaken is making, or is about to make, a left turn from a lane to the left of the overtaking vehicle, or is stopped or disabled; or
(2) when the vehicles are traveling upon an unobstructed roadway of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles, moving lawfully in the direction of the overtaking vehicle.
(3) repealed 6/28/79.
(b) No vehicle overtaking another vehicle on the right may return to its original lane until clear of the overtaken vehicle.
(c) The driver of a vehicle traveling in a roundabout may not overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle.
So yeah, basically the same. I think the "no passing on the right on multi-lane" (in the same direction) is an old wive's tale. Maybe it exists, but it wouldn't make any sense.