View Single Post
      06-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

335d smoking issue update, any help appreciated

335d smoking issue update

I posted last week about my 335d 2006 stage 1 map with no DPF with a smoking issue on idle after about 5 mins of driving once it's warmed up a bit an I pull up at lights I'd see smoke coming from the exhaust like a white with hint of blue is best way I can describe it then if I revved it or took off an put my foot down a bit I'd get like a plume of smoke, so this week I've done the following

Sunday I blanked the EGR cooler pipes off with bungs which made no difference to smoke issue but I never really expected it to

Monday fitted a new main thermostat as the one on the car was only reaching 66-70 on the temp in the hidden menu so from reading up I thought maybe the car was over fuelling to compensate for engine not getting hot enough, after thermostat was changed I took it out for a run an seen no smoke but then the following morning when I went out I noticed still smoking exactly as it was before

Tuesday late morning I changed the CCV on the car for a brand new one and car still seemed to smoke after it was fitted but seemed not as bad as before, takes the car out and no smoke, took it to get washed and valeted and left the car running for about 20 mins an not one bit of smoke at any point and I even had to check that it was still running as their was nothing out the exhaust

Wednesday takes the car out and again no smoke all day then Wednesday about 5pm I fitted the blanking plate to the exhaust manifold side for the EGR cooler that I'd ordered and been waiting for it to come, goes out Wednesday night and thought I noticed the car is smoking again but was hard to tell properly as it was going dark

Thursday and today car is back to smoking as it was before but not as bad, I'm guessing it's not related to the blanking plate and just purely coincidence but anyone have any ideas or thought as to what it could be?

I planned on going through things as I went along so next was going to be change the valve cover gasket then the red boost pipe then maybe turbo seals then move onto other things but the fact that it seemed to completely clear all Tuesday and Wednesday after the CCV was changed has got me thinking it's related to that so how would I find out for definite and cure it?

Would a oil catch can solve my problem and has anyone had the same issue as me an gutted a catch can that sorted it or anything else that sorted the problem as it's really getting me down now

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0