Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Tire Size Question

Hello all,
I've got a question on tire size and setup. I currently have the OEM 18" light alloy double spoke wheels with RFT's

Front: 18x8.0, 225/40 R18
Rear: 18x8.5, 255/35 R18

I'm trying to upgrade to a tire size, type, setup that will be optimal for occasional track use and street driving (don't feel like spending the money on a dedicated set of tract tires/wheels). I've researched a lot of threads and articles on this and other sites but I have seen a lot of conflicting opinions.

1) Which tire size is optimal for handling/performance, especially on the track? I've heard some say 17" and I've heard others say you need to go bigger. Regardless of the diameter, I'd assume wider tires are better right?

2) Almost everyone who has modded their 335i talks about spacers between the tire/wheel and the hub. I get that it looks cool, but does that degrade performance/handling?

3) I've heard that a square setup (same width) is preferred for winter driving, is a staggered setup better for high performance in the summer time?

4) Does the wheel the tire is mounted on really factor into performance. Besides weight differences, will I notice a difference between my OEM wheel and a highly-priced aftermarket set?

5) Any recommendations on tire brand/type and setup? Again, I am focused on performance/handling as well as durability. Don't care so much about looks and ride comfort.

6) @ all the track goers: What is your solution for having good, sticky set of tires on track days? Do you keep a dedicated set of track tires and put them on before every event? Besides being expensive, don't you have to mount and rebalance the wheels/tires every time you do that? Is it feasible to use the same set for track and daily use (fyi I dont drive my car a lot during the week since I use public transport to get into work).

7) Do I need camber plates if I upgrade my tires?

Sorry for the long list. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0