02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #42
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

some perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsomc View Post
I've been lurking here for a while trying to find out whether or not a 335xi is a terrible mistake or not.

I recently found a 2007, NON CPO, 335xi sedan that's an good deal at only $20k and has been taken care of (it was a lease, then a CPO, and I'll be 3rd owner).

However, it sounds like no matter how well taken care of these cars are, they might just fall apart at the seams.

We've all had a girlfriend that ultimately drove us crazy, spent our money, fought with our mom, threw our stuff out the window...but was absolutely unforgettable in bed. She was awful through and through...but when you think about her, all you can think of is how those first couple weeks felt, and to this day you still have a hard time getting her out of your mind.

Is the 335xi the unforgettable girlfriend? No matter what you do, will it always be a problem? Am I trying to justify a non-CPO twin-turbo-time-bomb because I can't stop thinking about the test drive?

I really just want someone to tell me it's not worth it, and I'll walk away. I'm just afraid nobody can, because they all remember the test drive too.
for everyone that complains that the 335s are too unreliable or 'psychotic girlfriends'- you must have never owned a twin turbo 300zx or twin turbo Rx7. The amount of technology and performance that is in the 335i surpasses them by far and you still get 20+ miles per gallon and 4 practical seats. For the pricepoint used this is an amazing car that costs as much as a loaded camry but has the potential to do sub 5 sec 0-60 times . I think the downside is that people will beat on these cars and then turn around and sell them or trade them in with potential issues for the next owner, but when isnt that the case with used cars? So when i hear people complain about some issues with 335s i feel kind of jaded because these are amazing cars that just need proper maintenance for longevity. The fact that bmw has stepped up and warrantied the turbos/wastegates to82k and the fuel pump to 100k? is quite respectable- as Nissan never did this with the 300zx and Mazda either- most people were lucky to make it to 60k on orig turbos and the warranty was up by 36,000miles. So after those two things the rest of the problems with car are the same problems a non aspirated ones would have. On a Bmw- these tend to be more expensive than on Japanese cars but probably on par with Lexus or Infinity. So bottom line is if your going to have a car payment, dont you want to have a car that puts a smile on your face? I like the feel that the turbos give you when you launch- thats not something you get in all cars and certainly not in a camry. I think as long as your happy, nobodies' opinions really matter because cars are not investments, they are disposable appliances that do not appreciate. Therefore, be happy with what you choose to drive and worry about the problems if and when they come...but try to buy a CPO