View Single Post
      02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

Brake Pads Rubbing Against Rotor

Wanted to see if anyone has had this problem or any suggestions.

Have had a weird rubbing sound coming from the back brakes for about two months.

At first I thought it might be the parking brakes rubbing against inside rotor, but I replaced them with new shoes and adjusted them and spinned rotors on neutral with no rubbing sound (brake pads off).

Second I though maybe the rotors were bad as they were stained and rusted to crap as I bought the car used about 5 months ago. Replaced rotors and brake pads with StopTech Rotors and some Advanced Auto parts brake pads wearever semi-ceramic. (Both front and rear rotors and brake pads). Rubbing sound still continued.

I have narrowed it down to the sound coming from the brake pads rubbing against rotor. Because when I spin the back rotors with brake pads off no sound. When I put brake pads back faint sound as rotors touch brake pads, which is normal but once car is back on the ground and brake used it should back off a bit.

I think it might be the calipers either putting out to much force or something as I have read of 335i having sticky brakes issue. Next I did a brake fluid flush to ATE Super Blue thinking maybe old brake fluid in calipers were causing it. But sound still persists.

I did check to make sure that its not the tire rubbing against anything and car on the ground the tires have more that enough clearance. Sound is pretty loud and most noticeable when driving slow. As far as braking performance and how the car drives is perfect no issues.

At this point thinking of replacing the rear calipers all together for new ones but wanted to get couple opinions first.

Any input is really appreciated.

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0