View Single Post
      04-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #81
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Oops, sorry about that! I was panicking because I was off 200lbs initially in this and another thread. I should have checked that you have a 335. Luckily there's kind of a pattern in the weight specifications...

Interesting find on the same springs for 328xi and 335xi. 335 guys better confirm with H&R because with lower springs there is more risk of bottoming out.

It's probably safe to say they are alright with a 328xi, but questionable with a 335xi. Hopefully you're right in that they just transfered over 335xi to 328xi, in that case you'd just have extra capacity/harshness for the 328s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast! View Post
Well with the 335i vs 335xi sedans, you get the following:

GVWR: 335xi = 4872 vs 335i = 4652
Curb weight: 335xi = 3814 vs 335i = 3593

In either case it's a difference of 220 pounds. We may need an actual tech with specs on these springs to chime in, but my question is whether the Eibach 335i springs are only equipped to handle a 4652 pound GVWR or whether they are rated higher than this. I looked online but couldn't find anything.

H&R is using the same set of springs on both the 328xi and the 335xi, and again you're looking at a weight difference of about 200 pounds. So are those springs weight-rated to handle the 335xi or are they weight-rated somewhere in-between the two cars (or even lower)? My guess is they just got lazy and decided to use the 335xi springs for the 328xi as well, and this is supported by the fact that like Eibach they use different springs for both the 328i and 335i. I'm guessing this makes the H&R springs for a 328xi needlessly harsh, but fortunately for those guys any set of 335i springs should work just fine since their cars weigh less.

I'm starting to believe that the only saving grace of these Eibachs on an xi is that they don't lower the rear as much and more of the car's weight (about 54%) is distributed to the front of the car to begin with. Does anyone else want to chime in? Like I said I don't usually pack my car to the brim, but I can foresee a Vegas road trip in the near future and I don't want to be scraping the whole way out there with 3 or 4 people and luggage.
Appreciate 0