View Single Post
      02-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #26
GreenMeansGo
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yup, I have taken into consideration that the engine is not as fresh as when it was new. It originally had 0 oil consumption when new and slowly increased in consumption to about 1L every 10,000 miles (it's currently about 1L per thousand miles). Then around 221,000 the consumption almost doubled within in one OCI. being that was the same time the oil life monitor goes defunct, I thought the oil useage was related to the oil level/quality sensor not being read correctly by the ECU. I verified the reported level by measuring the oil drain of the next oil change. Being the car geek I am, I've kept written records of every fuel fill since 3 miles, so I have excellent fuel consumption data to evaluate the health of the engine. My average MPG has not significantly dropped over time, so if there is oil ring wear causing a higher consumption, I'd expect a commensurate wear of the compression rings and higher fuel consumption. I'm not driving any slower I can tell you that. Next time I pull the plugs, I plan on doing a compression and leak-down test just for curiosity sake.

Thinking replacement of the CCV (or a catch can) is far cheaper than an engine teardown to evaluate internal engine wear, I'm starting with refurbishment of the crankcase vent/oil separation system.

Were you able to find a good DIY for CCV replacement on a 2006 n52? I’m scouring the forums and coming up empty
Appreciate 0