03-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #32
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I decided to actually respond to you(dont know why) but I will not dignify you on your misaligned accusations. You, however, are the one who needs to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself if you want to represent yourself in this way to others. Or do you want to flex your invisible interweb muscles.

That being said. The reason BMW went with runflats is because they could make more money off of it in the long run. Each car now has one less full size wheel and tire. Put that in your calculator and figure out the savings. Then whenever someone needs to replace a tire, more than likely they will go to the dealership instead of a local tire place, again put that in your calculator. Is it adding up for you yet? Run flats typically have a much lower wear rating than non-RFTs(probably 10-15k vs 30k+ for non-RFT's) which means they need to be replaced more often. Holy cow that calculator is on FIRE!!

While my common sense seems to be quite a bit different than yours, I don't think by BMW not including a spare tire/kit did they "Not" want me to use non-RFT's. They just made it harder for people to go that route. And well, it seemed to have put the "fright" in several people, including you, and they succeeded in their marketing tactic.

While it may be true that BMW designed the suspension around RFT's(don't get all giggly that I just partially agreed with you) because I know the Corvette is designed around that too, it doesn't mean non-rft's will have that much of an impact on the car. This however will have NOTHING to do with a warranty nor would it get voided because of such(another scare tactic for you to keep buying tires from the dealership(see a pattern here?)).

And in terms of having a flat in the middle of nowhere. Sigh..... If you're in the middle of nowhere on RFT's that say youre not supposed to drive more than 50 miles, where do you think youre going either? Secondly, every flat Ive ever had was a nail in the tire, not a blowout. Blowouts are so rare these days that they are borderline non-existent. Nail-in-tire flats usually cause a slow leak, not an overnight leak. They can be patched(Ive done two in my driveway already this season) for much less than the cost of one of the RFT's that say they cant be patched at all. And lastly, I have AAA, I live in suburbia and its a very slim chance I would get beaten up and robbed(more true in the middle of nowhere which you seem to be stuck on).

So, after that, do you still want to try kicking sand?
The most succinct rebuttal yet to going with RFTs. I will also add that if you are in the middle-of-nowhere, your chances of actually getting a replacement RFT are next to nil, even if you do happen to make it the 50 mi on 0 pressure.
Appreciate 0