View Single Post
      08-29-2023, 11:46 PM   #12
pete9903
Private
Rep
Drives: DD: '11 6MT E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Miller's schedule is nothing more than BMW's normal maintenance schedule used by the company up to the mid 1990's. Manufacturing techniques and fluid chemistry have vastly improved since the 1970's. Yet even in the 1980's BMW was using extended engine oil service intervals based on condition-based protocols. My E30 routinely went near or up to 10,000 miles on engine oil changes as does my wife's Z3 that remains in the fleet 26 after we bought it new in 1997.
Last counterpoint I'll make is that on my '87 635 (owned for seven years), I waited to get to the red CBS light for the first couple oil changes, and that oil came out DARK. I started changing it when I got down to the yellow lights, and it looked much less cooked (this was before I knew about Blackstone Labs, so I can't offer real data but color is an indicator). Always used full synthetic, proper weight. Mike Miller certainly takes a conservative approach that is overkill on some items for modern cars, but I will always be wary of anything that says "lifetime fill."
Appreciate 0