03-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #43
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Did they pop the hood at any point? When I brought my 540 back from Texas (bought it in socal, but drove mostly in TX for school and found it easiest to just register there when the CA reg expired), AAA had to check some stuff under the hood for the Vin Verification. I didn't pay attention to what it actually was since the car was stock, and part of me has my doubts that the lady at AAA who fills out the forms would be able to identify that a cleanly-done N54 ST isn't stock, but if she does and wants to refer it to CHP I am SOL.

FWIW I generally do registration at AAA to skip the wait at the DMV. As a bonus they don't question the sales price of the car, at all. DMV might give a funny look or something in my experience but AAA is like "okay cool you paid 3k for this 335is sounds good"

I'm assuming that AAA couldn't write a BAR referral, though. Probably the worst is they refuse to verify the car and refer me to CHP for the inspection. I'd almost be tempted to say that the hood release doesn't work, and try my luck with that angle combined with being extremely polite. Montana registration is cheaper in terms of overall cost (no $$ smog every 2 years) and tax savings, my main hesitation is the 'stigma' against MT plates since everyone kinda knows whats up.
As long as you have a stock airbox on everything looking OEM with the engine cover no turbo sticking out the top shouldn't be a problem, the only thing they look for is the emissions sticker. Even at the state ref, I think you could get away with upgraded turbos if you toss on the oem tune.
Appreciate 0