View Single Post
      05-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #5
kulxio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for your input! I'm not sure how to quote all replies, but I'll make sure to check the turbos while I'm already checking the oil return lines. Though there is smoking equally from both exhaust tips, so I guess it has to be both turbos then. I don't think there is a leak on the intake side since there is no oil in IC / charge pipe.

The valve stem seals were not checked at turbo installation. (At least I don't think so, since a shop performed the installation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Blue smoke at start up = bad valve stem seals.

You could try and solve your problem with a oil additive. Liqui Moly Stop Smoke is a great additive. You will need to change your oil & filter & add 1.5 to 2 bottles of this stuff, which = 20oz. Then add 6 qts 12 oz of oil.

It will take 500 miles for it to fully kick in. Some reviews say it takes two treatments and to not go WOT until you get 500 miles on the engine treatment.

If after 2 treatments it doesn't work, then unfortunately your only other option is to physically replace the seals.
It's not really smoking at startup, only once it gets warm. And when it is warm, it will mostly smoke after driving and stop smoking after coming to a stop and idling for a while.
But I'm also leaning against the valve seals. I didn't find any liqui moly additive over here, but I found something called Omega 917 which seems to be the same. I'll give it a try if the oil return lines looks fine since I already ordered some fresh oil and a filter. Hopefully it can fix it until the winter when I have time to tear the engine apart.

I'll make sure to update the thread if I do any findings, since that was my biggest issue when searching the forum. There are alot of threads about the same issue, but not many updates about the actual cause.
Appreciate 0