Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yep, and this is why their sales numbers for performance sedans are tanking. Sedans are a hard sell in the US anyway compared to CUVs, but an expensive luxobarge that offers very little over it's Lexus and Mercedes-Benz counterparts? Considering the hideous styling, I doubt they will sell many.

BMW has spent so much time trying to be like everyone else, that they forgot what attracted buyers to the brand to begin with. Almost everyone I know who has been a loyal BMW customer (some of them for decades) will not be buying a new one, and likely switching to another brand for their next vehicle purchase.

It's not just the enthusiasts either, as many of these long-time buyers I wouldn't consider to be car enthusiasts, they simply have bought BMWs because they enjoyed how they drive.
I actually don't agree with this at all. Relative to the competition, BMW is right about where they have always been with cars. The whole industry has moved in a direction that I don't care for - but gun to my head to choose a new car, it would be a BMW still. I *like* the G20, but they won't sell me one in the configuration that would make me spend my hard-earned money on one (they barely even MAKE that configuration anymore). But as shown by what I bought last summer (minty '11 128i convertible, mit stickshift), I don't need to buy any more new BMWs. There is no shortage of lovely ones from the eras when they made what I want to buy, and they don't do Euro Delivery anymore, which was a big draw to me. Lots cheaper too, not that I particularly care. As I just said in another reply, I don't have :"fuck you" money - but I do have "drive what I damned well please" money. If I wanted an M5 CS I could buy one, but I don't see the point of a car like this at all. Though I would take one of these over any of the silly-fast bad minivans they also make these days.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50