View Single Post
      05-26-2022, 08:08 PM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

I'll start with the admonition to get rid of ISTA-P. It does not understand vehicles that might be non-standard. It does not allow fine (individual module) control and updates all sorts of things in ways that you might not want. It is dangerous to use without an ICOM adapter, which I gather you do not have. So, I presume you are using the emulator software to run the KCAN cable. Not safe.

Use WinKFP to update the programming for one module at a time. It is bulletproof. Use NCSExpert to update the coding for one module at a time. If you don't understand the difference between programming and coding, google it. Learn to use INPA for diagnostics - it is much more powerful than ISTA-D. It is less user-friendly but there are plenty of threads describing its capabilities.

That said, I'm happy your engine started and ran after your 'update'. That means whatever programming/coding was commanded was executed successfully, or successfully enough.

To begin with, I am not sure what symptom you are experiencing: is your problem that the starter motor does not turn or does the starter crank the engine but the engine does not fire?

I'll assume it's the former and if so, there are a limited number of possibilities that you can easily test without spending any money or making completely random guesses like replacing the Terminal 30G relay:

In order of (what I think is) most likely:
1) The battery is weak/dead.
2) The starter motor is bad
3) The ground cable from engine to chassis is corroded.
4) Positive lead from battery to engine compartment jumper terminal is damaged, usually corroded at the battery box connector due to water accumulation.
6) Wire/connectors from CAS to the starter solenoid is bad
7) Internal circuitry in CAS is damaged.
8) The switch sensing depression of clutch (for manual trans) or brake pedal (automatic, as in your case) is bad, or the wires /connectors associated with it are bad.

Luckily, INPA can measure all the voltages and test all the switches for you:

Turn the ignition on but don't try to start the car.
Load INPA then select E90->Body->Car Access System (CAS) -> F5 Status -> F2 Analog -> F1 Diagnose Terminals

Look at any KL30 bar graph (i.e. KL30L, KL30E etc). If the voltage is significantly less than 12 (like low 11s or less), your battery has a problem. KL50L (V), the voltage on the line to the starter solenoid, and KL50L (A), the current drawn by the solenoid should both be zero.

Then try pushing the start button. The voltage on KL50 should go up. If the starter engaged and the battery was healthy you'd read about 10V or so because the high current drain of the starter causes the battery voltage to drop. KL50L (A) would be in the range of 7 amps or so - that's just what the solenoid is drawing, not the starter motor itself. If KL50L V stays at zero, your CAS is damaged. If it goes to 12 (or whatever the resting battery voltage is), there could be a damaged wire/connector between CAS and solenoid

You can test the pedal switches by selecting E90->INPA -> Body->CAS -> F5 Status -> F1 Digital -> F2 Status Clamp contro. Press the pedal and make sure the circle changes from white to black

Ground and battery cables are easy to test. Just use a jumper cable to bypass them.

Good luck!

Last edited by dpaul; 05-26-2022 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
l8nit38.50