05-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nit3 View Post
Amazing! thank you so much for the detailed reply. I will be testing all of these things this weekend, as soon as i have a dry day (i work outside unfortunately).

I will say, i was so impressed with the information and depth included in IstaP that im surprised its not the recommended software, but will definitely take your advice and switch to INPA for diagnostics and winkfp & ncsexpert for coding only.

INPA/WinKFP/NCSExpert/Too32 are FACTORY software; ISTA-D/P is dealer level software. The factory software gives you many more options and many more ways to look at what's happening in your vehicle. Downsides are 1) it's in German and 2) you have to do a little study to understand what types of data are available.

I had initially started with WinKFP, however was unable to locate a few of my module ZB numbers in any SPDATEN i used (50.2, 55, 60.2). Assuming they had been replaced at some point (bought used) I had switched to ISTAP due to the glowing reviews in many forums.

Yes, I am using the emulator for K+Dcan, I had read that the newer bimmergeeks pro versions were 'safe' to use for full program so long as a voltage reg was used as the KDcan would take far longer (obviously incorrect)

ISTA-P is being spoofed by the emulator. It's inherently dangerous. God help you if you try CCC/CIC updates without an ICOM.

FWIW, the 'safe' thing about the Bimmergeeks cable is a bug fix. Early cables (and probably still some China cable) can cause unrecoverable errors when writing program data to a few specific modules; in your car that would be EGS. In mine that would the MSS60 DME.

As for the 'coding' vs 'programming' I do realize there is a difference, and believe one is for changing settings already present, and one is to add new options completely (or delete), however see them used interchangeably (incorrectly) and apologize if i mix them up.

No, this is not it. Programming means the program code responsible for actually running the module is written over. Coding means that a special limited form of parameter data written over, usually only to certain values pre-determined by BMW. Coding does not affect the algorithms contained in the executable. WinKFP does programming; NCSExpert does coding

You are definitely correct that i was simply guessing with T30 replacement, if 'a little knowledge is dangerous' then google university made me a monkey with a machine gun. lol

Your last option there on your list seems interesting, as one symptom i have noticed but forgot to mention is that the brake pedal is extremely 'hard', and difficult to depress.

Lets leave that one for later

I will start with your list, and invest in a voltage meter for testing, and update as soon as i have diagnostic info, just one clarification, if measuring voltages and such, I do so without the voltage regulator attached, correct? I assume if connected to a regulator the voltages would not read correctly, however assumptions got me where I am now lol

Yes, absolutely. Do not connect the power supply for these tests

Once again, I truly appreciate all of the information, and you taking the time.

<edit #1>
i have read in many places that it could be an EWS sync issue due to the ISTAP upgrades? I will obviously do all the above diagnostics before attempting anything else, but does that sound like it could be a potential cause?

EWS sync is not something you can set or modify with either ISTA-P or INPA/WinKFP. In your model vehicle, a "secret key" is hard coded in the DME and the CAS at memory locations that protected and not accessible without specialized hardware and knowledge. It is very, very unlikely that you have disturbed this. In any case, an EWS mismatch does not prevent the starter motor from cranking - it only prevents the engine from firing.
Good luck
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00