View Single Post
      10-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

Rear drive shaft problem

Just after a little bit of technical advice. I have a strange noise. It sounds like a brake pad touching the disc in one place, kind of like a woosh woosh (or shhh shhh) noise. The noise is only when turning right at relatively low speeds like taking a corner with minimal braking. It is definitely coming from the rear, driver's side wheel area.

I took it to the dealer and they are saying it's highly likely (he said he's very sure) from the rear drive shaft (diff to wheel). However, the boots are all intact, no leaks, the joints are in good condition apparently, but there is some corrosion. The dealer would like to replace the offending drive shaft.

So the question is, what other parts move on the rear drive shaft, apart from the joints which could make this noise.

They won't accept a claim under the insured warranty due to the presence of corrosion but they cost the part at £450 alone with no guarantee it'll cure the noise. The obvious thought is that it's a wheel bearing but I know nothing about the rear drive shaft construction.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by wallsmk2; 10-23-2013 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0