View Single Post
      12-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #58
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex21074 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, pleased to meet everyone on here! I am being offered a 2008 328xi by one of my co-workers for 500$. Before you guys freak out at the price, it obviously needs repairs. It has 240,000km, my co-worker owned it for two years, bought it for 7000$. Owner replaced front shocks and springs, starter, oil filter housing (no leaks there or on the valve cover gasket), two crankshaft positioning sensors, three coils and spark plugs, differential oil. Here's a rundown of the problems and repairs it needs, based on the pre-purchase inspection I paid for;

All 4 tires need replacing (only one OEM set of rims, R16's)
Brakes and rotors need replacing
Both front control arms on each side need replacing
Rear shock absorbers need replacing
A/C needs a refill (based on owner's words), A/C seems to work
Misfires on cylinders 1,2,3 (owner says needs engine coils and spark plugs)
stored code for oxygen pre-cat sensor and coolant temperature sensor
Current code for transmission oil wear (assume fluid was never changed)
needs alignment
needs battery replaced
Oil pan sweating (repair shop says small enough to pass safety inspection)

Owner serviced car at MrLube, but every 4000km (synthetic, but doubt it was LL-01)

Anyway, I know this is a lot of work to do, but I am planning to have this as a second car for fun and repair it myself (found a place where you rent the workshop with tools for 30$/hour in the GTA, my buddy who worked at a dealership offered to help for free). Some background info; 25yo, live in a condo (wish they had a place to hoist cars in the garage), my daily driver is a 2012 Volvo S60 T6, pretty trouble free in the 4 years that I've owned it, I do some work on it myself.

My question is this, do you guys think it's worth it to get this car for myself or not? I'm not planning to flip it or part it out, I'm a car guy and don't mind working on it myself.

Why isn’t he fixing it up?

Don’t waste your money or time. Save up and maintain your s60 and then get something nicer and newer in a few years.
Appreciate 0