10-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #500
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
I think that is a neglegible risk:

If the code was bought from BMW, it will be recorded in their central database, so they know if the code on the car does not match theirs. You can, at some point, determine without reading out the car if the code was a "lifetime" one - because you won't be asked for a new code when you upgrade the map data.

Having a code that extends to the next version is fine, since BMW sells 1 and 2 year subscriptions themselves. The difference can be determined via coding and then, it does not matter if the code is correct but was not bought via official channels.
I agree, risk is likely negligible but I know BMW do look for lifetime codes as a reason to reject a claim, whilst perhaps unlikely it wouldn't take much effort for them to realise this 5C code is not something they would ever have supplied paid or not... I have a friend who had their nav replaced no problem by BMW under warranty whilst using a generated (correct) code, I remember they were warned beforehand if they found any lifetime code they would reject the claim. It all just seems a little more risky than sensible to me to use obviously non BMW supplied codes especially when there is zero benefit...

Anyway this was more of a heads up for Jagaer that he might want to set the fscshort to what it should be and avoid all these potential problems people might get.
Appreciate 0