View Single Post
      05-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #185
sofgwhat
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Used this post for the first time this past weekend, of course I did it outside on the hottest day of the year. 

For the rears I only had to remove the outer bolt, sway bay link and that pesky headlight sensor. Both sides took a little over two hours, I only have one hydraulic jack so I had to screw with jack stand placement.

For the fronts I decided to remove the entire strut which turned out to be very simple, I was worried about scratching the fender and I think it would have been a pain to change out the spring while the strut was still in the knuckle. Much easier working on the strut/spring while it was on the bench. I already had koni struts that came with the car, a little PB blast and those suckers slid right out. For the record, I only removed the sway bar link, cinch bolt that holds the strut, control arm bolt and the top three strut nuts (oh and the front headlight adjuster can be removed by unclipping, the rears had a 10mm bolt that seemed to go on forever). I did compress the springs before I remove the strut. I found if you unbolted everything, it was easier to access the strut and manipulate the spring compressors. Fronts took about 3 hours but with lots of breaks since I started out in the shade for the rears but ended up in the sun when it came time to do the fronts.

Thanks for the great post and all of the contributors.
Appreciate 0