Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Sorry to hear this mate.

You gave up too easy though. You rolled over and they got what they wanted, the cheap payout!

First thing you do is show them Autotrader. Glass's guide is just that, a guide and is about as valid as "my mate dave says".

9.5k isn't the end of the world but you'd have got 11 out of them based on what is on autotrader by hassling them.

Who was the insurer btw?
Unfortunately I didn't give up too easily, I fought them for a week on it, until they provided me with a written final offer. With this, you can go to the financial ombudsman service, which I did. I only just got a reply from them yesterday after a month of waiting.

I didn't have the spare cash at the time to wait 1 month for the sake of a grand or so.

The insurer was Elephant (underwritten by Admiral), and Admiral handled the claim.

Also it doesn't work like that these days, they are not regulated to use adverts of other cars for sale, it states this in black and white on the Financial Ombudsman Service website.

The only way I would of get a penny more was if I waited over a month for the FOS to review my case and then fight further. But even then, like I said, they are not regulated to use like for like adverts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
£9300 sounds fair for a 10 year old car. My 10 year old 325i Glasses at £6k
It "sounds" fair if the car was just a typical example of a 10 year old 135. This car was immaculate, in one of the best color combinations with a load of great/desirable spec.

Coupled with the near £2.5K spent on it in the 3 months before the theft, the car was easily worth more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
+1 name & shame the bastards
Have done above

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
Sounds like Admiral.

I had the exact same experience. In the end i had to accept their offer as i needed the cash to buy a replacement car.
Yep bang on. They know we are desperate and they were very quick to go all in if you will. They handed me their letter of final offer and said take us to the FOS if you wish.

Car history highlights: EP2 Civic, E92 335i M Sport, E92 325D M Sport - Stage 1, Mk5 Golf GTI - Stage 2+, E46 M3 6MT, E82 135i M Sport 6MT, Nissan 350z - Stage 3, Audi S3 - Stage 1 DSG, M135i Auto.
Appreciate 0