General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
thanks for the feedback, guys....

Blackhawk:
I just happened to look at my manual for weight distribution and weight loads, ect.....your spot on!

approved gross weight: 4,916
load: 1,102
Rear axle load is 2,646

I will definitely look into the tow capacity vs trailer and tongue weight before I get too crazy with this....of course I will not be towing with the trailer often...just a handful of times per year, and maybe a local car show here and there....

I did look into weight distribution of the trailer itself so that there is not too much tongue weight when the trailer is loaded. If I figure the tongue length/axle placement/load area correctly, there should be little direct load on the suspension...however, this does not rule out the actual towing/pulling capacity...that is a separate issue...

This trailer will be stripped of all mechanicals and rear diff...I just need the suspension arms and bearings/hubs/rotors....though now, I will be sure to have the trailer's suspension up to par.....

I will probably begin thinking about lightweight interior materials instead of steel...which I was originally thinking of...maybe light plywood covered in carpeting...if done right, it would look very presentable.

The way I am designing the trailer, most of the weight will be over the trailers axle...I dont think I would be putting more than 300lbs fully loaded in it...that leaves 400 pounds or so...my kids dont weigh that much!...but fully loaded with luggage, a roof rack , ect...I could be approaching maximum density fairly quickly.

This gives me pause...not on building it, but on HOW to build it. Thanks for the heads up.

JP
I'm not sure why you think steel will be heavier than plywood. You basically need four cut and formed steel sheets: one to close off the front of the open clip, one to close off the trunk, and two to form interior panels for the sides. I'd cut and form those parts in thin-gauge sheet steel, weld them in, seal the seems with caulk, and then have the interior sprayed with Rhinoliner, or another pickup truck bead liner product. You won't have flat floor, but is that really an issue?

If you use wood, or another product you'll will then have weather issues to deal with. Also, you'll need floor drains to keep the trailer from holdng water if you go without a tonneau cover.
Appreciate 0